Strategies to Become a Stronger Reader...
Questions to ask before you read
- Can you look at the pictures and predict what you think will happen in this book? What makes you think that?
- What characters do you think might be in our story?
- Do you think there will be a problem in this story? Why or why not?
Questions to ask while you are reading
- What do you think will happen next?
- What can you tell me about the story so far?
- Can you predict how the story will end?
- Why do you think the character did _______?
- What would you have done if you were the character?
- How would you have felt if you were the character? (use different characters)
- As I read (name a part in the story)____________, it made me picture________ in my head. What pictures do you see in your head?
- As you read, what are you wondering about?
- Can you put what you’ve just read in your own words?
Questions to ask after reading
- Can you remember the title? In your opinion, was it a good title for this book? Why or why not?
- Were your predictions about the story correct?
- If there was a problem, did it get solved? How?
- What happened because of the problem?
- Why do you think the author wrote this book?
- What was your favorite part of the story?
- If you could change one thing in the story, what would it be?
- Can you retell the story in order?
- If you were (name a character) __________, how would you have felt?
- Is there a character in the story like you? How are you alike?
- Did you like this book? Why?
- What do you think the main character would do next if the story continued?
- Do you agree with all the choices the character(s) made?
- What did you picture in your mind while you were reading?
- Did you learn anything new from reading the book?
- Did anything in the story remind you of something that happened to you?
Did anything in the story remind you of another book you read?